The Dragon Age series are games based in a world that is rich with detail, filled with complicated characters and gut-wrenching moral quandaries. They’re addictive, and if you’re anything like me, your interest didn’t stop when the game ended. Luckily for all of us, there are several excellent podcasts that will let you continue living in Thedas long after you’ve finished your fifth play through.
One Off Episodes
Some of my favorite podcasts have had episodes about Dragon Age. These are a great place to start if you crave a little Dragon Age content and don’t want to commit to an entire podcast. Consider starting with these:
- “Episode 3. Dragon Age – Femquisition” – March 7, 2018 (an introduction to the series as a whole)
- “Episode 61. Dragon Age 2: Femsplained Again” – February 23, 2021 (a much better re-introduction now that the Femsplained hosts have settled into their dynamic)
- “Dragon Age – JS Lenore” – June 28, 2017 (the hosts are pretty terrible as they haven’t played the games and keep going down rabbit trails, but their guest loves the series and keeps bringing things back to where they should be!)
Hosts Caitie and Jordan have great podcast chemistry, and I appreciate the respect they show for each other’s opinions and insights as they discuss Dragon Age and occasionally Mass Effect. They cover game reviews, character rankings, and general discussions on broader themes and topics.
- “60: Favorite Dragon Age Moments Pt. 1” – October 9, 2020
- “40: State of the Nations” – July 6, 2019 (a discussion of the different countries in Thedas)
- “7: Gender in the Dragon Age Fandom” – March 16, 2019 (feminist discussions and video games – my favorite!)
Hosted by Manny and Brandon, two chaotic gay men who describe their experiences as they play through the Dragon Age games. They have finished Origins and are playing Dragon Age 2 now. This is the podcast for you if you want to relive the story with people who are new to the series (well, new for one of them).
- “OR103 – Origins Faves w/ Liz from Dragon Age: On the Record Podcast” – May 20, 2019 (get a sense of their personalities and game preferences before delving into the full experience)
- “OR001 – Meet Steván” – September 30, 2018 (the start of their Dragon Age: Origins actual play)
Liz and Road host this podcast, an in-depth review and discussion of each game, with an additional focus on DLCs, comics, books, and some interviews with DA creators!
- “Dragon Age OTR ep 4: ‘Enchantment? EnCHANTment!'” (Dragon Age: Origin discussion begins)
- “Dragon Age OTR 8: ‘Dangit, Anders!'” (Dragon Age II discussion begins)
- “Dragon Age OTR 10: ‘Ride the Bull'” (Dragon Age: Inquisition discussion begins)
There are only two episodes in this too-short podcast, but they are worth a listen! CC hosts both, and she is joined by different women for each episode for a topic-based conversation. It still feels novel to listen to a podcast of only ladies talking about video games – I wish there had been more of this one!
- “Episode 01: Divine Intervention” – November 30, 2017 (a discussion about the Divine Election options in Dragon Age: Inquisition)
- “02: What To Expect When You’re Expecting (An Old God Baby)” – April 13, 2018 (a discussion about Morrigan’s child and the Dark Ritual from Dragon Age: Origins)
Playing Dungeons & Dragons in the world of Thedas is SUCH a fun idea, and the four players certainly enjoy themselves, sometimes to the chagrin of the long-suffering DM (is there any other kind?). I am about halfway through the series, which ends after 18 episodes. I love a D&D actual play podcast with an ending!
- “Episode #1 – Can I Take the Arm?” – August 14, 2020 (jump right in with the show’s first episode!)